Glitch? Yes. To Sandy's knowledge the day was perfect and it was without a glitch. Except to my knowledge it was difficult. About an hour before the Ceremony as I (this is Jen writing) am in the Bridal Room watching photos taken of Sandy and sitting with her maid of honor, Suzy (our mother) comes to me, whispers in my ear "Julia's been in a bad car accident I will be right back." The words "I will be right back" means that it couldn't be that bad right? No one is dead right? So it's okay?? I was left speechless, heart pounding and all of a sudden incredibly distracted away from Sandy's day and my make up to "What Happened?" My sister Julia her fiance Brance their baby Bella (turned 1 year 2 days prior) and my fiance Eric were all in the vehicle. I had given my phone to be put away so I had no phone. I took my nieces phone and began calling Eric immediately. I figured if they were fine he would tell me. They were not fine but he would not give me details. He said they were okay and going to the hospital to be checked out. He sounded distressed so I knew it was more than they were saying but I couldn't say a word to Sandy. I had to keep it from her. Because it was her wedding day and I couldn't let a tear stroll down her face that had been made up earlier that day or stress to overcome her heart that was filled with joy and nerves for her walking down the isle. So I kept it but it showed on my face and I may have seemed distracted and may have not smiled as much as I should have but knowing something was terribly wrong that something terrible happened and obviously no one was okay cause they weren't there was weighing heaving on my heart and mind.
Ed and Suzy finally show back up. They assure me they are okay. They assure me that they are on their way to the hospital that the baby is okay. They assure me that Eric is okay and Melissa and Eddie are with them. I, however, don't see them and have not heard from them and my heart is pounding. Are they really okay? What happened? They must not be too hurt Ed & Suzy are here. But then again, their other daughter is getting married. Decisions had to be made. Game faces had to be put on, a wedding was about to commence.
As the night progresses and text messages are exchanged and more details of what happened are known to me I break down in tears. They were making a left on Clovis & Herndon on a green light when they were struck by another car on the Passenger side where Bella and Eric were and were then flipped. Unable to get out they broke windows. They were all released late that evening but with pain to follow, sprains, bruises. Yes they are alive. Yes they are out of the hospital. Yes they are healthy. But nonetheless had been through the most traumatic event of their lives and will be in physical pain having to go through physical therapy for quite sometime. Praise be to God that Bella was without a scratch!!!
March 19, 2011 was a DAY for sure! A day where I couldn't tell my sister what had happened so I wouldn't ruin her day. A day where we had to hold it together as a family and know they were talking alive and being taken care of a Clovis Community Hospital. A day where my heart was so heavy and my mind so distracted with what had happened and what they had gone through. A day where I knew that my love for Eric went deeper than ever and being his wife would be an honor. The 4 of them went through an event that has forever bonded them. Something only they know. I am grateful though that we are closer to Brance and Julia and that Eric and Brance have formed a wonderful friendship. I look forward to doing life with you Brance and Julia we both do! And we love our niece Bella very much! And are so grateful to have her in our lives.
Part of me wishes I didn't know. So that I could be there fully in mind heart and soul for Sandy. But knowing all of it detail by detail. Knowing something was wrong. Knowing they were hurt more then just a fender bender. Knowing I had to keep it to myself. Was so difficult.
Congratulations Kevin & Sandy. We are very happy for you both and wish you the best.
We love you Brance, Julia and Bella.
And remember, in an instant your lives can change. Love like its your last day on earth because it very well may be. Don't let the door shut behind you with out a hug, kiss or I love you! Your life truly flashes before your eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment